New Approaches to Smallholder Certification
Launched in 2016, New Approaches to Smallholder Certification (New Approaches) is a project that brings together a transdisciplinary team of experts to design a certification system that both works for smallholders, and ensures the credibility of FSC certification is maintained.
- Our vision is to improve access to, and uptake of, the FSC system by small forest owners and communities.
- To identify local challenges and barriers to smallholder engagement, seek solutions to these, and create awareness.
- Success is measured in terms of increases in: the number of FSC certificates; social, economic and environmental benefits from FSC certification; and smallholder satisfaction with FSC certification.
Results achieved to date
- Regional meetings have been held in Tanzania, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia and Thailand to engage smallholders and other stakeholders, and discuss challenges and solutions.
- A draft categorization of African smallholders has been prepared.
- Three capacity building workshops and one calibration workshop have been in held in Africa.
- Two new concepts have been designed ahead of the 2017 general assembly