Indigenous Peoples’ Engagement
This group was created to make FSC the preferred certification system for Indigenous Peoples globally.
- Provide a global platform for the collective voices of Indigenous Peoples.
- Promote the rights of Indigenous Peoples and safeguard them within FSC-certified forest management units.
- Support the continued involvement of Indigenous Peoples in FSC certification.
Results achieved to date
- The group has delivered a proposal for revisions to the permanent Indigenous Peoples committee (PIPC) that will secure resources for the articulation of Indigenous Peoples’ voices inside FSC.
- The group established a new FSC subsidiary to be the secretariat of the PIPC, and to support Indigenous Peoples’ engagement to build their forest sector business.
- A draft community forestry standard as per Motion 83 (2014) was developed and field-tested in communities across Latin America, ready to be piloted internationally, and be presented at the 2017 general assembly.
- A technical working group was established to develop the accompanying normative framework and supporting implementation toolkit. A proposal for both will be presented at the 2017 general assembly for discussion.
- The group finalised new guidelines for FSC certificate holders on free prior informed consent.