This group plans to expand FSC’s use of earth observation technology, which has the potential to significantly shift the way certification occurs, and to provide tools to broaden the reach of FSC.
- Create a validation tool to support conservation and restoration activities, driving finance and investment on the ground where it is needed.
- Ensure that banks and other financial institutions, which directly finance or insure forestry operations, have access to a reliable tool that ensures their investments are sound.
- Streamline the certification process, incorporating risk-based principles.
- Create a simplified method of obtaining certification for smallholders.
Results achieved to date
- The group has begun a 'transparent forests' project in collaboration with the European Space Agency and a consortium of providers, looking at a tool that uses remote sensing technology to support forest management certification.
- The group is also actively exploring new partnerships, including providers of visual imagery, earth observation, and remote sensing technology.